Dr. Brian Aufderheide
Associate Professor, Chemical Engineering
Location: Olin Engineering Building 318
Expertise: Modeling, design, and control of chemical, biological and biomedical processes.
PhD. Chemical Engineering, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 2002
- Glycemic regulation in Type I and II Diabetes mellitus
- Pharmacokinetic/Pharmacodynamic Modeling
- Bioprocessing and bioreactor control and optimization
- Chemical Industrial Design projects
- Multiple Model Predictive Control
Dr. Brian Aufderheide completed his PhD in Chemical Engineering at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. His areas of expertise are in advanced control, design, and modeling of biomedical, chemical, and biological processes. He has consulted for both medical device and biotechnology companies. He was sole engineer and QC supervisor of a 40MM lb/yr custom extrusion company. He has over 15 years of experience in education developing over 25 new courses. He has supervised over 30 Industrial Design Projects. He is a returned Peace Corps Volunteer. He is dedicated in helping his students to succeed.
- Al Taweel, A.M., Qayyim Shah, Brian Aufderheide, “Effect of Carbon Dioxide on Oxygen Transfer Rate in Loop Bioreactors: Bioconversion of Natural Gas to Single Cell Protein”, Ind. Eng. Chem. Res, (In Progress).
- Wilkes, Makeda A., and Brian Aufderheide, “First principle model to a multiple state space model predictive control with automated tuning: 3x3 waste system”, (In progress).
- Ramkissoon, Charrise M., B. Aufderheide, C.C. Palerm, B.W. Bequette, and J. Vehi, “A Review of Safety and Hazards Associated with the Artificial Pancreas”, IEEE Reviews in Biomedical Engineering, (Accepted).
- Nunes, J.J., B. Aufderheide, D.M. Ramjattan, and R. Dass, “Enhanced Production of Single Cell Protein From M. capsulatus (BATH) Growing in Mixed Culture”, Journal of Microbiology, Biotechnology and Food Sciences, 6(3), pp. 894–899 (2016).
- Ramkissoon, Charrise M., Brian Aufderheide, B. Wayne Bequette, Cesar C. Palerm, “A Model of Glucose-Insulin-Pramlintide Pharmacokinetics and Pharmacodynamics in Type I Diabetes”, Journal of Diabetes Science and Technology, 201X, Vol XX(X), pp. 1–14 (2014).
- Al Taweel, A.M., Qayyim Shah, Brian Aufderheide, “Multiphase Mixing and the Promotion of Microorganism Growth in Loop Bioreactors”, International Journal of Chemical Engineering, Special Issue on Advances In Mixing Technology, Article ID 984827 (2012).
- Lewis, L., E. John, A. Albert, C. Koongebeharry, A. Kissoon, B. Aufderheide, “Using CAPE to Enhance the Sustainability of Utilizing Natural Gas in Ammonia Production”, in IChemE European Symposium on Computer Aided Process Engineering ESCAPE 22: London, UK (2012).
- Shah, Qayyim, A.M. Al Taweel, Brian Aufderheide, “Using CAPE to Develop Cost-Effective Process for Converting Natural Gas into Single Cell Protein”, in IChemE European Symposium on Computer Aided Process Engineering ESCAPE 22: London, UK (2012).