Verizon Innovative Learning Program
To pre-register for the program please click here.
To download the application please click here.
2019 Program Dates: June 17 - July 5, 2019
Program Orientation: June 16, 2:30pm - 5pm
For more information, please contact Ms. Marci Turner.
HU VIL Program Information
By 2020, 77% of the US jobs will require a technology skill-set, yet millions of students lack access to the technology and resources they need to help them thrive in a digital economy. Verizon Innovative Learning (VIL), a Verizon Foundation education initiative, addresses this issue by providing free technology, free access and an innovative curriculum to students impacted by the digital divide.
During summer, Hampton University partners with the Verizon Innovative Learning to offer a program that provides next-generation technology and entrepreneurship courses to local minority male students in middle school on the HU campus. We are proud to work with the Verizon Foundation to cultivate an interest in STEM education and help prepare students for future jobs in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM).
The 2019 VIL curriculum will include the following areas of focus that will permeate various elements of the program:
- "Design Thinking"
- Augmented/Virtual Reality (AR/VR)
- Electronics and Coding
- 3D Modeling & Printing
- Team and Character Building
The VIL Program has three components:
- Summer Enrichment Camp – The 3-week summer camp will be held on the HU campus June 17th through July 5th.
- Saturday STEM Academy – The Saturday STEM Academy will be held one Saturday per month (September 2019 through April 2020).
- Mentor/Mentee Pairing – Students will be paired with a mentor and assigned a peer team for the duration of the Program.
- First time attendees
- The participant must be a minority male
- The participant must be entering grades 6th, 7th or 8th during the 2019-2020 School Year
- The participant must reside in the Hampton Roads Region, VA
- The participant must attend a school that has been designated as a Free and Reduced Meal (FARM) school in the Hampton Roads Region, VA
- The participant must participate in the mandatory 3-week summer camp at the Hampton University campus
- The participant must participate in the Saturday STEM Academy at the Hampton University campus
Become a Creator with Technology
We need more of our minority young men to be prepared for success in the digital world.
That is why Hampton University and Verizon are inviting minority males especially African American and Latino boys in middle schools to participate in a unique technology immersion program.
- The camp will consist of a three-week intensive learning experience including courses in augmented and virtual reality, electronics/coding, 3D design, entrepreneurship and design thinking principles. (2019 Dates: June 17 – July 5)
- Following the summer, the students will participate in monthly sessions throughout the academic year where they will develop a technology solution for a community problem that aligns with the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). (2019-20 Dates: TBA)
- Lunch, refreshments and transportation to/from the college will be provided to the campers at no-cost during the summer sessions.
- Technology equipment will be provided for student usage and learning throughout the Program.
- There is no cost to attend this camp.
Students will see what it is like to be in college, and will be paired with undergraduate students who will serve as year-round mentors. The goal of the program is to expose minority males to technology and introduce them to careers in the various technological fields they may not know exist.
We need more children to see the world of possibilities. With access to technological tools and educational resources, our young men can use technology to create a better future for themselves, their communities and the world.